Prints by Yonca Karakaş
Prints by Yonca Karakaş
Yonca Karakaş studied photography and video art at Yıldız Technical University in İstanbul. As a rising emerging artist, she exhibited her artworks in art fair and Pg Art Gallery. She lives and works in İstanbul, Turkey.
“Tabula rasa”: the human mind comes to this world as an empty plate, as John Locke put it. The information gathered in time is carved onto this plate; each and every bit of information obtained, in fact, deprives the mind of its freedom. Free mind loses its freedom completely due to dogmatic ideas acquired in time and never apprehends the process of losing. The biggest problem of a human being who is in the effort of existence is that he/she sets on the way without being aware of several walls, which will eventually surround them. Unfortunately, this human being confronts a single set of mind at the end of the road.
Any information and story passed onto next generations by their ancestors has unfortunately become the guiding light for today and tomorrow. Holding on to this reality, the living creature gives shape to his/her constrained life accordingly, and cannot reach the actual reality in the world of ideas, which makes the essence of living, due to their way of construing things, thus keeps lingering around ideas.
The artist generally tells the stories of the existing universe in alternative universes, while trying to discuss things in the context of history, religion and psychology. She creates a brand new universe manipulating the viewers’ sense of “reality” through the objects, space, states and characters she uses. Pieces of meat in frames, crosses made of candies, giant lobsters, necklaces of donuts, perfect skins, android and cold characters avoiding eye contact, and cloning.
- Banksy: The Di-faced Tenner
- Andy Warhol: Electric Chair Portfolio
- The Yosemite Suite by David Hockney
- Banksy: Early Prints
- Introducing Thomas Agrinier
- Blek Le Rat: The Artist is Present
- Introducing Julian Opie
- A Conversation with Vincent Chung
- Robert Mapplethorpe: Light and Dark
- Jonas Wood: Multiples of Three
- An Interview with James Joyce
- Yayoi Kusama: Infinity
- The Tax Collection: 2018 Curatorial Residency
- Andy Warhol’s Campbell Soup Cans
- Damien Hirst Does Mickey Mouse
- Tim Bessell x Andy Warhol Surfboards
- Clairvoyance Exhibition
- Bruce Makowsky and the Art of Luxury
- Legendary Andy Warhol at Guy Hepner
- Roy Lichtenstein at Guy Hepner