Shadows by Andy Warhol
Shadows by Andy Warhol
More than twenty years after his death, Andy Warhol remains one of the most influential figures in contemporary art and culture. Warhol’s life and work inspires creative thinkers worldwide thanks to his enduring imagery, his artfully cultivated celebrity, and the ongoing research of dedicated scholars. His impact as an artist is far deeper and greater than his one prescient observation that “everyone will be world famous for fifteen minutes.” His omnivorous curiosity resulted in an enormous body of work that spanned every available medium and most importantly contributed to the collapse of boundaries between high and low culture.
A skilled social networker, Warhol parlayed his fame, one connection at a time, to the status of a globally recognized brand. Decades before widespread reliance on portable media devices, he documented his daily activities and interactions on his traveling audio tape recorder and beloved Minox 35EL camera. Predating the hyper-personal outlets now provided online, Warhol captured life’s every minute detail in all its messy, ordinary glamour and broadcast it through his work, to a wide and receptive audience.
The youngest child of three, Andy was born Andrew Warhola on August 6, 1928 in the working-class neighborhood of Oakland, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Stricken at an early age with a rare neurological disorder, the young Andy Warhol artist found solace and escape in the form of popular celebrity magazines and DC comic books, imagery he would return to years later. Predating the multiple silver wigs and deadpan demeanor of later years, Andy experimented with inventing personae during his college years. He signed greeting cards “André”, and ultimately dropped the “a” from his last name, shortly after moving to New York and following his graduation with a degree in Pictorial Design from the Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon University) in 1949.
- Campbell’s Soup Complete Portfolio I and II by Andy Warhol
- Andy Warhol’s Mick Jagger Series
- Andy Warhol Endangered Species
- Marilyn Monroe Portraits by Andy Warhol
- Late Paintings by Andy Warhol
- Andy Warhol: From Beethoven to Jagger
- Love by Andy Warhol
- Andy Warhol’s Cowboys and Indians
- Warhol: The Last Decade
- Presenting Marilyn Exhibition
- Andy Warhol’s Moonwalk, 1987
- Andy Warhol’s Ads Portfolio
- Andy Warhol Watercolors & Drawings Exhibit
- Andy Warhol Flower Paintings
- Andy Warhol A La Recherche Du Shoe Perdu
- Guy Hepner New York Now Open in Soho