Birth of Venus by Andy Warhol
Birth of Venus by Andy Warhol is A portfolio of four screenprints of Botticelli’s goddess of Venus on Arches Aquarelle paper by Andy Warhol.
Warhol was known to obsess over the fame of celebrities of Hollywood. Therefore, he took a classical art piece of the past and redefined it in terms of divinity of the modern American idols. Warhol created four different versions of Sandro Botticelli’s Birth of Venus, as he did with the Marilyn, bestowing celebrity status on Venus, the Roman goddess of love. By using his signature techniques of producing prints in a variety of pop color combinations, he is able to produce a characteristically pop version of Venus.
Venus, the Roman goddess of love, is transformed with vibrant colors, which bestows upon her a celebrity status like those of Hollywood. Although Botticelli’s original work of Venus has an elaborate background with her full body, Warhol choses to focus on her face and flowing hair to emphasize Venus. Warhol’s version of the Birth of Venus features Venus with fire red hair and a dark complexion, against a stark white so as to accentuate her divinity.
Andy Warhol was an American artist who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art. Andy Warhol’s works explore the relationship between artistic expression, celebrity culture and advertisement that flourished by the 1960s. Warhol’s Marilyn and Andy Warhol’s Soup Cans are some of the most recognized and collectible of his artworks.
From Andy Warhol Paintings to Andy Warhol Prints and unique pieces, the artist’s works are available for sale from Guy Hepner.
- Campbell’s Soup Complete Portfolio I and II by Andy Warhol
- Andy Warhol’s Mick Jagger Series
- Andy Warhol Endangered Species
- Marilyn Monroe Portraits by Andy Warhol
- Late Paintings by Andy Warhol
- Andy Warhol: From Beethoven to Jagger
- Love by Andy Warhol
- Andy Warhol’s Cowboys and Indians
- Warhol: The Last Decade
- Presenting Marilyn Exhibition
- Andy Warhol’s Moonwalk, 1987
- Andy Warhol’s Ads Portfolio
- Andy Warhol Watercolors & Drawings Exhibit
- Andy Warhol Flower Paintings
- Andy Warhol A La Recherche Du Shoe Perdu
- Guy Hepner New York Now Open in Soho